Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 2ish a little late

Day 2

OMG. Okay so I need to fill you all in my past two days in Italia because at this rate I’m headed for a Lizzie McGuire Movie type situation. We woke up at our hotel and went down for the adorable continental breakfast of like…lunch meat and shiz. That sounded so ignorant…sorry bout it. Then Chiara, our adorable on site GSE advisor, gave us our envelopes ‘o’fun which included out apartment keys, Museum Pass (OMG HIGHLIGHT OF MY LIFE, I’ll reference this later.), Internet Card, and paperwork. We got to move into our adorable apartment on Santa Reparata which is so Italian I can hardly stand it. I’m going to show you pictures of the straight up fresco on our bedroom ceiling. I’m rooming with Sarah who’s a junior at UCLA and just so funny. Our room is HUGE! And it overlooks the duomo which is pretty VIP.Oh a big PS: NO AIR CONDITIONING. Which works out terrifically for my overactive sweat glands and naturally frizzy hair. Looks like I’m not going to be impressing anyone. Super. We have 6 girls in our apartment, and Sarahs and my room is adjoining with Gwen and Nicole (2 of my faves, I’ll explain later). BTW our washing machine is in the kitchen, and our dryer is a clothesline overlooking a courtyard that seems to be the local hangout for stray skinny ass cats. I scoped them in my free time. Can’t wait to FAIL at a clothesline and add it to the things I can’t comprehend. Right under “Shower knobs in places that aren’t my home.” We went out to lunch on one of the piazzas and I had a delish salad with salmon, apples, brie cheese, walnuts and balsamic vinegar. I also tried “prosciutto + melone” roughly translated by myself to “ham on top of cantelope.” Nom. After lunchy we had out Florence City Tour during which we walked around wearing orange-ass lanyards and blue ear pieces. I think we fit in quite nicely. I’m obsessed with this city. We learned all about the Medicis who were like the boss family in Florence for centuries. Future career path possibly. Owning cities, that is. This place is beautiful. I can’t even explain. It’s the whole Florentine atmosphere, I can’t get enough. Not to be dorky but I’m reading Eat, Play, Love, and I tend to mark passages that I find significant or interesting (don’t judge me) and Elizabeth Gilbert is far better at explaining it than me. “Generally speaking, Americans have an inability to relax into sheer pleasure. Ours is an entertainment seeking nation, but not necessarily a pleasure seeking one. Italians are the masters of “il bel far niente.” This is a sweet expression. “Il bel far niente” means “the beauty of doing nothing.” So literally its like, I can walk around and do nothing and go home and feel like I was completely productive. I don’t do that at home. I do nothing…and then feel like a waste of a human. So this entire lifestyle works well with my summer agenda of doing nothing. Perf. After our city tour we went to grab a pizza at this restaurant on the piazza because earlier in the day the hosts were all about a group of 12 girls walking around and one of them had a romantic moment with me. NBD. If you think I’m a sucker for flattery in America, don’t even get me started on Italian stallions calling me “Bella.”Shiz so we go back and this fool thinks I came back because I missed him, when in actuality I just wanted to stuff my face with pizza. Our waiters and hovering hosts were so funny and took pictures with us after. Alex (Italian Stallion) came up after and introduced himself and wanted a picture of us. Possibly for our Destination Wedding Scrapbook. He wants to take me out and show me Florence…ba ha ha ha we’ll see how this progresses. Interesting. After dinner we came back to the apt and went to bed. Oh actually I tried to shower which was a joke because I thought itd be funny to experiment with the b’day (not to be confused with International superstar, Beyonce’s , sophomore album) . Long story short, I’m a dumbass and ended up using all of the hot water in my experiments and had to take a cold shower that had the water pressure of drops falling off a stalagmite in a cave. Refreshing. Then I sweat my face off during the night and also got eaten by Italian misquitos so im absolutely LOVING that. Also, Gwen rolled off her bed and I laughed. I’m writing a novel here so I’ll try to keep this next one on the short side.

1 comment:

  1. not to be a dork, but you're reading eat, PRAY, love. oh and it would be stalactite (c = ceiling). you gotta recognize your sedimentary rock formations!! (haha please tell me you remember what that's from). anyway i want to hear more about this italian stallion. channel lizzie mcguire please and hop to it. i wanna il bel far niente too. oh and b'day = bidet ok sorry i'm a baggodouchio haha

    ReplyDelete